Thursday, May 27, 2010

A book - another healing

I was dumbfounded by a recent healing. It happened after I read Colleen Spiro's book The Third Floor Window.  Colleen is an incest survivor and a great advocate for children who have been abused. This is a book that everyone should read. We are the voice for those who cannot use their own yet. Here are some of my thoughts on this issue:

Children are a gift of love from God and should be treasured by their parents. Abusing a child breaks the sacred bond that God put between the child and the parent. A child's view of God is often formed by the way a parent treats the child.  Parents are called to be a reflection of God's love. To not only not recieve this nurturing but to have this sacred bond abused grieves God. Incest grieves the heart of God. It causes harm to the child that only God can repair. To abuse a child in this way can cause a deep existential shame...a shame for even existing. It steals the joy of living from them. In Colleen's book you can see the hand of God reaching down to his child and healing this wound caused by another's grave sin.

 Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I sent Colleen:

Colleen,
I thought your book was really powerful. I figured I would get upset reading it but I was surprised at the depths of my response. First it made me really angry, then sad at the horror you went through. Then I cried for every child who is mistreated because this really upsets the Lord. It harms the souls of children so much when a parent abuses them. Colleen, I was furious at your father. How dare he do this?! It is a terrible evil and I pray he realizes this. I think what bothered me a lot was his lack of repentance (making excuses isn't repentance). It sickened me. That you forgave him shows the beauty of the person you are.

Sometimes when I am overwhelmed the speaking in tongues pours out. I'm thinking the Holy Spirit had the words that I did not. The Lord started bringing up stuff from my own childhood and I got angry at my own parents. I brought the anger before Jesus, forgave my parents (I wasn't even aware that I still held anger but God showed me that this was so. I knew that if Colleen could forgive what her father did I could certainly forgive lesser things even if they were very painful), and  then  I said "Lord, aim me right at you!"

I had no idea that the Lord would take this literally. You see, I was born with my feet turned sideways. You can't even call it duck-like because one leg and foot were completely sideways and the other was pretty bad. Nowadays, they would probably operate (I'm guessing) but back then our family doctor made my father nail two hard shoes straight on a wooden board and I had to sleep in them with my feet tied in. She said that a babies bones are pretty soft and this might correct it somewhat. It did help and I learned to walk but my mom said I would scream and cry at night and they gave up on the board and shoes so one foot was corrected pretty well but the other was not. Within hours of reading your book and asking the Lord to "aim me straight at Him" I noticed my knees, hips, and ankles kept snap, crackle, and popping :) It was weird! My right foot (the bad one) and my leg straightened up over the next day or so and I can walk quite straight now. My husband noticed right away...I was even sitting different. (It had never occurred to me to ask for a healing of my feet. I was always this way and just sort of accepted it.) Randy took me out this weekend to get new sneakers :)

Weird, huh? I can cross my knees over with ease now, too - this was difficult before! God's hand was all over your book, I could see this as soon as I opened it.

                                                                Mary

I was struck by Colleen's words that Jesus wept with her.
 Colleen, I just wanted you to know ...I wept, too.

11 comments:

  1. I am so awestruck by God's presence manifesting in your life so tangibly in recent months! It is surely reward for your deep faith in Him and perseverance in suffering. Oh, God is so good, is He not? So happy for your happy feet now :)

    And God bless sweet Colleen. She is a special one of our Lord's own Heart.
    (((hugs and prayers)))
    Is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    It's very odd isn't it? I have no idea why He's doing this but I'm thankful. My feet are thankful, too:)

    Colleen is very special. I think the Lord will heal many people through her. It takes a lot of courage to write with such honesty and truth.

    Hugs to you, Is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thank you so much!! I am so grateful that you had a healing through reading my book. Wow.
    Thank you for the beautiful words about my book and your care and concern for survivors of child sexual abuse. The more we talk about it, the more we can help heal.
    I really love this that you wrote - Children are a gift of love from God and should be treasured by their parents. Abusing a child breaks the sacred bond that God put between the child and the parent.
    Beautiful. And very affirming for me.
    I am going to link to your post if it is OK.
    Hugs and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Colleen's book and did my own review of her book several months ago. Colleen has such a beautiful heart that she shares with all who know her. She is an inspiration to me. Her book also tells my story even though we grew up in different families and in different parts of the country. She is a blessing to all who know her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ... he certainly aimed your feet straight at Him. That's great! I can't help laughing at that. I feel Jesus laughing too, with great playfulness and great delight in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen,
    Of course you can link it up! Thanks again and may God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia,
    Thanks for commenting! I'll go read your review. Yes, Colleen is a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pip,
    Your comment made me smile. I think Jesus has a great sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Mary! God is getting your ready for something by taking away all your physical limitations. It is really funny about aiming for Him and getting your feet and legs straightened. Our prayers are inspired by the Holy Spirit and Jesus must have had a good time doing this for you after you asked Him for the aiming. A great example of how God gives us surprises because He loves us so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb,
    This healing was quite a surprise to me. When you are born with something you are pretty used to it and it never occurred to me that God would heal this. It just never crossed my mind. When I asked Him to aim me right at Him I meant my heart :) Colleen's book was powerful and God knew I would be affected by it. I had wanted to read it for a while. I think God wanted me to read it, too.

    ReplyDelete