Monday, November 23, 2009

Living your faith

   Michaela is still very young but I am trying to teach her the difference between simply going to Church and mouthing prayers, and living your faith. I wasn't certain how well this was getting through to her until the other week at Mass. She brought her religious education book to church with her and during Mass I felt a tug on my sleeve and she pointed to the corner of a page in her book. She whispered to me, "Mommy, you do this." I looked down to where she was pointing and read the words,"Living my Faith." I smiled at her and inside thanked the Lord  that she is beginning to understand the difference between being a lukewarm Christian and true Christian.
  Children love action. Rather than give money to the local food pantry, I brought her to the grocery store and let her help put together a Thanksgiving meal for a family in need. I explained to her how blessed we were and that we needed to share our blessings with others so that they too may have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Michaela had fun browsing through the aisles, finding the foods, and crossing them off the list she was holding. She picked out the pie for the family and helped me remember everything that was needed. It was a good lesson for her and she had fun doing it. She wants to do it again for Christmas :)

  Please remember all those in need this holiday season by helping out your local food banks, soup kitchens, and charities, it is a very tough year for many. Those who can't afford to help out can always volunteer their time.When my daughter is a little older I hope to get her to do some mother-daughter volunteering at the local soup kitchen.

  Thank you, O Lord for all your gifts and blessings!

4 comments:

  1. God bless little Michaela, and well done, Mary!

    We are downsizing our gifts in price this year, but upsizing them in thoughtfulness (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little sweetheart is so wonderful-I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful message. It sounded like you had a lot of fun with your daughter, and giving is fun, I agree. God bless you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, don't be frightened by the scary name- Beast in the middle is me! That's my son Jack's basketball nickname -he's a center! He was signed in on my computer yesterday and I didn't know it! Hope you weren't thinking it was some stranger complimenting you on your daughter!

    ReplyDelete