Saturday, August 8, 2009

" Hound of Heaven"

This is a brief excerpt from the poem, "Hound of Heaven" by Francis Thompson:


I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years; I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears
I hid from Him, and under running laughter.Up vistaed hopes I sped;
And shot, precipitated,
Adown Titanic glooms of chasmed fears,
From those strong Feet that followed, followed after.
But with unhurrying chase,
And unperturbed pace,
Deliberate speed, majestic instancy,
They beat - and a Voice beat
More instant than the Feet -
"All things betray thee, who betrayest Me."


This is my alltime favorite poem. The full poem is quite long but very beautiful. I highly recommend it for those who like poetry. Like Francis Thompson , I too, ran from the Lord and hid from Him and everything in my life betrayed me except for Him. He hounded me and eventually caught me and nothing will ever be the same.


Utterly Thine, O Lord




2 comments:

  1. Lovely Mary! I am going to pray that prayer with you today "Utterly thine, O Lord!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    Isn't it? I started a blog called Utterly Thine
    but I have just begun to work on it.

    ReplyDelete