Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nice?

You know what? In our world being "nice" can be a problem. Being nice can be a catch-all phrase in our society. People used to say to me, "You are so nice." A girl I once worked with as a teenager said, "Mary, I can't picture you yelling." I had to laugh at this one! The truth was: I was not nice...not at all. This niceness was a surface quality only. This facade hid a multitude of sins. It also kept me from seeing them. People thought I was nice...so therefore I must be okay. I was not okay and many others in our world are not okay. The Lord certainly cured me of this misconception about myself!

There is a great rift between niceness and holiness. We aren't called to niceness; we are called to holiness. Jesus was not always "nice". Think of Him driving the money changers out of the Temple. But, he was holy. Truth is not always nice. Niceness can be a false face that someone shows the world. We live in an upside down society these days. Pro-lifers are often looked upon as evil because they are not "nice" enough to allow people the freedom of choice. But the very people who are saying this believe that it is fine to take the life of a baby. They call themselves pro-choice. This is a misnomer because the baby certainly isn't given a choice. The title pro-choice is simply a "nice" name in a politically correct world. This "nice" name covers a major sin.
This sin is called murder.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Mary! Just wow! This is so deep and meaningful. You are absolutely right, being nice is not the same as being holy. You've given me much to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to add more to this post,especially after I wrote "This sin is called murder. But the Lord said,"Stop right there." So,I did. I don't think He wanted me to soften this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dawn. Glad you didn't say "nice". Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of this post today for some reason when I heard the Gospel today. When the Ten Virgins went out to meet the bridegroom. I was struck by the Five wise Virgins saying, "NO" to the foolish ones. They said, No when the oil was running out and the foolish ones wanted some of the oil for their lamps. They said, Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves. It brought me to your post about being nice. Sometimes like today with the foolish virgins we just need to say NO that this is unacceptable and go and do your own good works. Just thinking out loud here!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, you have a wonderful clarity of thought and a gift for putting the truth out there simply and directly. The whole societal idea of what "being nice" means, what it looks like and acts like is so misleading. It covers many layers, one of which you covered so articulately in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rachel. The funny thing is my last name is Nicewarner. Appropriate for this post:)

    ReplyDelete